Welcome!

This blog is for English actress, cakemaker and writer Jane Asher, with many pictures and accurate information of one of the most beautiful rock muses from the 20th century.

Monday, 14 September 2015

The Sunday Times article, 1990

Published on March 11th, 1990


Picture by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders.

Not Superwoman – but keeping her act together

The actress Jane Asher is married and has three children two boys and a girl. She has written several books on such diverse topics as children, cakes and fancy dress.

I'm 43. I've always told people my age. It has never occured to me to lie because it's all in the cuttings from the year dot anyway.
I don't relish the idea of growing older. I'd be happy to stay 43, it's a lovely age, although if I read that this magic wonder cream were going to take all the wrinkles away, I'd probably use it. I'm a fairly reasonable person, so I'd have plastic surgery if I felt it was necessary. I've nothing in principle against spending money on looking better. I exercice twice a week with an instructor who arrives on my doorstep. I would be able to do it on my own, but I know I never would.

If I hadn't gone into acting, and if I hadn't gone out with some radical males, I think I would have been a much more obviously middle-class nice girl who would have voted Tory. Other people see me as a kind of Superwoman. I'm perceived as very family-oriented, which is true, and as sailing through life coping with everything, which is not. I have a lot of help, which the average woman doesn't have. I have a job I love, which a lot of people don't, and I don't cope wonderfully. People just tend to see the bits that make it look as if I do. I have great troughs of despair, but not very often.

I'm more confident now. It's one of the few compensations for growing older. You develop confidence, but not as much as you think you will. I can remember looking at grown-ups and thinking, "How wonderful! They're not scared of tomorrow." Of course it isn't like that: you just swap your worries for different ones.

I've done plenty much what I've wanted to do. I wouldn't want to give up anything – the acting or the writting – but I couldn't put them in the same category as children. I suppose I'de be happy for life to go on as it is. I must be a very lucky person to be able to say that. If you can just see how lucky you are, you should never complain about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment